Friday, September 18, 2020

End of Summer Wrap-up

Fall starts on  Tuesday!!!!  Get your Pumpkin spices ready... :)

So... I made a lot of refrigerator pickles this summer.  I gave some to Meri and some to Shub.  He really likes them and Meri is doing intermittent fasting on certain days and has "pickle days" for those days.  Mine are a bit too vinegar-y to use them on those days ALL the time, but she does like them.

And the cukes are getting too big for pickling, so you're picking the seeds out of your teeth as you eat them.  Oh well, they're free pickles and I like them!

I haven't checked the garden for more of them lately... Need to do that.

I've also been composting all summer and so far I have a big tumbler full of what looks like dried cardboard, torn up newspapers, coffee grounds and grass clippings. so basically garbage...  I give it a compost kick every once in a while using a can of skunky beer, ammonia and some other ingredients.  Can't wait until it looks like compost.

If I spread this on my garden this fall, my neighbors will have me committed.  

On a nicer smelling note..  Shub bought Meri some Inis perfume from a local drug store.  How did he KNOW that is my favorite perfume also!!!  So I went and treated myself to some a couple weeks ago.  

Maddy had found an Inis candle a while ago and had the scent permeating her house when we arrived for a visit.  Then she asked if I recognized the scent.  OOOOHhh that's a tough one!  And I didn't!!! until she told me what it was.  It had been a long while since I'd had any around!

But it smells fantastic and I'm reminded of the ocean in a wonderful way!

So the Inis is a reward for losing another few pounds.  My weight is currently on the cusp of greatness (for me anyway).  I haven't been this weight since before Meri was born.  Well, briefly 3 weeks ago too, but then I ate some chips and salsa and I've been fighting that back off ever since.

I need to be more careful on the weekends and stay away from chips. uggg

Leon update:  He enjoyed the rest of his summer 

and since our home has a high risk occupant, he is attending online school this fall.

This was  his first day of on-line school.  I cropped it better for Facebook.  It looked like he was on an actual mountain, not a mountain of cement chunks...  Those chunks will get used eventually...  



And Leon being goofy.  I don't remember why he made this face but insisted I delete it immediately after taking it.  SHUUUURRRRE I will...
heh heh heh


I've done a lot of cooking.  I turned 3 pounds of yellow onions into one jar of carmelized onions that we keep forgetting are in the fridge.  I'll freeze them into smaller portions I think...
Reminds me Steve Martin's Wild and Crazy guy.
How to turn $3 million of real estate into $5 in cash.

In the Instant Pot this week, I've made yogurt, wild rice, instant rice, Took the bones from some roasted chicken and made bone broth.  Yeah that might be it this week.
Can't do anything outside since the roofing people are still here.  Shingles falling from all around the house, so I'll just stay tucked indoors...  

Had such a nice phone call with Maddy yesterday on her walk home from school.  She's ultra busy these days, teaching kindergartners in person AND online for the ones that have been exposed to Covid or have the sniffles.  So her days and evenings are packed with Kindergarten.
She had a scare a week or so ago and got tested for Covid, as she had a few symptoms.  ALL her class (and families) were praying for her and guess what?!  It was just a cold!

It's fall.  That happens!
We're so thankful that's all it was!

I have an online ASG sewing meeting tomorrow morning.  Still nothing to show, but I'll attend and visit with old friends, admiring their successes...
I DID do some sewing, but nothing quality to show off.

Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Practical Parsimony said...

Congratulations on the weight loss. I have onions I should caramelize and freeze for later. I bought a Juki serger.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails