Monday, January 18, 2021

Never thought I'd be Keto

Due to changes in our diets in our house, I've been getting a little caught up in looking for Keto or low to no carb recipes.  

My cookbook shelves are starting to look a little different...


My cupboards are starting to look like a witch's cupboard...
Arrowroot flour
Guar gum
Erthyritol
Monk fruit
Almond flour
Psyllium powder
as well as a ton more miscellaneous bags of odd ingredients.

The only thing I'm missing is eye of newt.

But I'm pretty sure there is an incantation of some kind I'm supposed to be saying over the food processor as I mix all these things up.  Or at least a cackle.

The main chant is, "he probably won't like it" so I guess it's all for me.

  The health food store is beginning to know me by name.

And I'm overbuying on cauliflower.  It used to be potatoes.  So much so that I just pulled 6 heads of frozen cauliflower out of our garage fridge which freezes things...  I'm letting it thaw out a bit before I rice it all and throw it back in the deep freeze for future use.

Cauliflower has taken over my shopping so that when I see a good deal I stock up on it.  Found out lately that it has a LOT more carbs than say spaghetti squash, so it won't be used as often as we had been eating it.

If it's frozen and riced, I can use it on occasion and won't feel so pressured to add it to every meal.

I'm planning on spiralizing some turnips and a rutabaga that got prefrozen too and then refreezing them.

Life has changed and we're adapting.

The deep freeze will never look the same again.  I'll probably have to throw out those cream cheese mints...

what a shame!

BUT I have lost another 4 pounds since starting this.  Things look good all around.

If you have any recipes that have next to no carbs, we'd be appreciative.

3 comments:

SAM said...

I say I should cut down on carbs and then I go and make three small loaves of banana bread. Good luck with your cahnges.

Hawaii Planner said...

My husband has to eat Keto due to a food allergy that is in almost every carb. We've liked egg roll in a bowl & warm taco slaw (they are both cabbage based, and super easy to put together).

Recipes we like:
https://www.theseasonedmom.com/egg-roll-in-a-bowl/

https://peaceloveandlowcarb.com/warm-taco-slaw/

Anne in the kitchen said...

Once you get the hang of it, Keto is pretty easy to do as long as you stay on it. I went off at Thanksgiving, and boy can I ever tell now!
Don't get hung up on the carbs in veggies. While I do count them I don't get crazy if I go over a bit eating them. I am pretty sure no one ever got fat by eating too many broccoli carbs.
You forgot hemp hearts, brown and golden flaxseed, and coconut milk.
If you become desperate for chocolate Choc Zero makes a pretty good product

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails