Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Setting Benchmarks

 I've only made yogurts since December for Jen.  She likes them for smoothies.  AND since they have 12 carbs per cup plus whatever sweetened condensed milk in it, that's just too many carbs for Robb and me...  We're trying to be as Keto as possible.

And I've been missing yogurt.  Robb and I used to enjoy a container of it some evenings for a treat.  So I've been doing research...  Robb says, "You don't have to go to all the trouble for me!  I'm perfectly happy just eating meats, cheeses and cauliflower!"

Yeah yeah yeah...  

Even though Almond milk has no carbs, it's just not an option because I've tried making yogurt with it before many and various ways and we're just NOT fans...  Plus it never gets past the thickness of soupy slop.

So I found that regular milk has the 12 carbs per cup.  Also found that Fairlife milk has 6 carbs per cup.  aha...  I think I found where to cut the carbs.  Oh and sweetened condensed milk can be replaced with artificial sweetener if you want...  We stir in a little after the fact.  I'll make the next batch with it mixed in and some vanilla.

Apparently Fairlife milk has filtered the milk out into it's basic parts and then puts it back together in various types of milk...  Fats, carbs, lactose, etc.  

This is not a commercial...  I actually wish they were paying me for this...  But they might not approve of what I say.  Fairlife is expensive and I've balked at buying it for a LONG time.  I have dredged ALL over the interweb to find a way to do it myself, but don't have the means to buy the big equipment for our house...  and we don't have a cow.  SO I finally broke down and bought a half gallon of the stuff.  It's expensive!  $3.12 for a half gallon and that would be over $6 for a gallon??  Regular old 2% at Aldi is less than $2.  Whole milk might be a little bit more.

But when a small container of low carb yogurt costs $1.50, what's $3.12 for a half gallon of milk??  That makes each little container (about 8 of them) around 39 cents per and less than 5 carbs per container.  I'll do it.

I've only got one Instant Pot (and it's actually an off brand) that has a yogurt button on it.  Heretofore referred to as the IP.

I rinsed out the pot with super hot water and then dumped in the milk and 2 tablespoons of previous made whey.  Whisked well.  Covered the pot with a couple paper towels and the lid to hold it down.  Pushed the yogurt button for 12 hours and the next morning at 11 hours, I checked it.

Everyone on my FB IP yogurt groups keep talking about the "spoon test" and I thought yeah yeah yeah.  But wow.  This yogurt was SO much thicker and creamier than the boil method...  The spoon really stood upright without wavering one way or another...  Plus I didn't have to drain the whey off at ALL!

Sigh.  I'm a convert.  But I'll still do the boil method with regular old milk for Jen.  She likes it. and it's cheaper for me to make that...  But for Robb and me, I'm so doing this from now on.



Above, my legs this morning.  Wearing jeans that used to be way to small for me but I hung onto them just in case I lost weight.  And now I may need a belt for them.  I also have some jeans from college days and if I ever get back into them I will restart the button fly trend again.  Oh yes I will!

Oh!!!! My weight is down 15 pounds since what it was at Maddy's wedding!!  That is my benchmark. 

4 comments:

SAM said...

Impressive weigh loss results. I had a good week last week, and this week have let sneaky calories get the better of me, but am still writing it down. I could go without yogurt though I do like it so wouldn't bother, but that is a really good solution.

mamahasspoken said...

My son did the KETO diet and lost over 150 pounds. Then covid hit and working from home. Sadly he's gain a lot of it back.....BUT I never knew there was sugar in milk until he went on this diet. Turns out it's added to the milk to make it more tasty. I think they could leave it out. My solution when cooking for him was to use whipping cream. No sugar in that. Of course it's a whole lot more expensive but to be honest, that's all I cook with any more. Oh and check out monk fruit. Tastes just like sugar but no carbs! I still use that stuff to help with the carb counting with hubby for his diabetes.

Susan said...

Yay on the weight loss!

I watch carbs *most* of the time. I did find a lower carb yogurt called Carbmaster. It's a Kroger brand-Fred Meyer or QFC in my area.

Susan

Practical Parsimony said...

I pay $4.59/half gallon for a2milk.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails