Thursday, February 25, 2021

You're going to know where this is leading


Robb McVal, 54 died unexpectedly at home last week.  He was born in small town Iowa, the son of Rev and M McVal.

Robb graduated from college where he met a fellow student, Val.  He graduated a semester earlier than she and was then employed in small town Iowa as a programmer analyst.  After Val graduated that spring, they married and settled in a nearby small town, where they would have celebrated their 33rd wedding anniversary in May.

Robb was active at his church where he was the church chairman and loved serving God in every capacity.

He picked up bagpipe playing as an adult and enjoyed marching in parades, Irish/Scottish festivals with the local bagpipe band.

Robb enjoyed computer gaming and organized a twice a month international gaming event where he made lots of virtual friends and also included high school and college friends in the group.

Robb loved his wife and children and was always available if they  needed help.  The same with friends, extended family and church family, especially with their computer issues over the years.

Robb is predeceased by his father.  He is survived by his wife Val, 3 children and grandson, his mother, 2 brothers and sister as well as many many many nieces and nephews.

Lunch followed at the one of two places still renting during Covid and happened to be the most beautiful venue in town.  

Robb... I miss you so much already!  Every time I hear something you liked to say, think of something that I know you'd laugh at or walk into any room in the house that is filled with flowers still, I cry.

So many people say, "He's watching you, you know..."  I sincerely hope he's not.  Because Heaven wouldn't be the place of no tears and pure happiness if you can see your family grieving as we are.  

It would break his heart.  

I spent the day preserving roughly 23 flower arrangements in various ways so that they wouldn't wilt away to nothing.  In addition to the flowers, we received about 9 plants.  I will do my best to keep them thriving.

This weekend, Meri, Robb's sister and I will find a grave stone to commemorate his life.  

My house still has lots of people in it, but I still feel so alone sometimes.

When Robb asked me out for the first time, he prefaced it by saying, "You're going to know where this is leading in a minute... but are you dating anyone?"  And every day for the past 33 years, he's said, "You KNEW where this was leading!"

To be honest, I had no idea.

I'm broken.

11 comments:

Anne in the kitchen said...

There are not enough words to properly convey my sympathies to you and your family I am so saddened by your loss.

Melissa said...

Oh Val there are no words. My heart breaks for you - He knew he was loved and we saw his love for you.

Susan said...

I am so sorry. Comfort and peace to you and your family.

Susan

mamahasspoken said...

My heart is breaking for you Val. You had a one in a million hubby that loved you with all his heart. You wrote a beautiful and loving tribute to him in this post, with it showing the love that you both had for each other.
My condolences to you and your family.

Rachel said...

My heart breaks for you and your family. Prayers of comfort for you all.

Meg B. said...

Oh, how I wish I could lend some comfort. I don't know you, but I know how it feels to break. I am going to put you and your family in my prayers.

SAM said...

I am so sorry, Val. Please accept my sympathy's, prayers, and wishes for peace for Robb, you, and your family. words are not enough, but know love is coming your way.

JRE said...

I am just in shock!! I am so sorry and understand a little as my husband died at 41 but he died from cancer so I at least know it was coming. I know I still grieve 25 years later. I have a good life with my children and grandchildren. That will be there some days a small hole some days a crater!!!. Prayers to you. I know when you mentioned him not feeling well the RN in me was concerned, but this!!

Practical Parsimony said...

Val,
I am so sorry I am just now finding out this as I have not felt well. I really thought he was a wonderful man from what you said and what he wrote in his Christmas letters. I am so sorry about his death that I can barely see to type.

Kirsten said...

So sad to read of Robbs passing when I logged onto my laptop to catch up on your blog this evening. Long time reader and first time commenter, I feel like I have gotten to know your family over the years. Sending you lots of love from Australia

TBravo said...

I have been away from your blog for too long and came back to read this news. I'm so sorry. I feel like I know your family and I'm heartbroken for you all. Please know that we are thinking of you all.

T

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails