Wednesday, March 31, 2021

McVal's Law

 McVal Law: Anything that hasn't gone wrong for a while most certainly WILL as soon as McVal is in charge of all decisions... 

1) water heater blew.   
    Thankfully it didn't really BLOW UP, but it happened when Maddy was here for Spring Break.  So she helped me clean out the furnace room where the water heater was bubbling at the top nicely...  And even though I was always the one that made the phone calls, I was suddenly flummoxed.  dang.  With my MIL moving out, we just hauled all her things out to the living room that she'd been storing in there and mopped it up with old towels.  
   
   The last time this happened, the water had seeped through the wall and soaked/ruined the carpet in a bedroom.  So at that time, we caulked the floor boards in the furnace room and that saved the day this time! :)  Smart thinking back then folks!

   I made some calls, spent some bucks and we had a new water heater in place within 3 hours of finding out about it. 
   Whew.

2) Car problems
   I had just been visiting Ada, my bestie, at the nursing home.  I went to leave and the van wouldn't start.  REALLY?...  This happened several months ago too.  Robb had set up an appointment for us to take the van in and when we went back to church to jump start it, it started right up without the cables.  So leaving it sit for a few hours fixed it...  We thought, at the time, that because I'd used the power button so that the backseat plug in would work and I'd left it on with it draining things.  So we cancelled the appointment.  But why would the battery charge back up just sitting there?  I'm no mechanic but I don't think that's how it works...  But with my explanation of the power button, I just made sure that it was always turned off.

   That wasn't the case here.  After sitting the car crying for a while, realizing that Robb wasn't there to call, Meri came over and tried to jump start it with me, but that didn't work so she took me home.  Shub went back over with the intent of jump starting it for us and before he did that, he tried to start it.  It fired right up like there were no problems.  hmmm.  Then we took it to our car guy.  It needed an oil change anyway.

   He was able to pull the codes on what the issues were and he recommended I take it to a dealer.  sigh.  shoot.  So I did some research online.  A lot of people were hunting down this mysterious issue and someone's comment suddenly struck a cord.  It only happened on rainy days...  yeah...  It had been a very rainy day here.

   Apparently this car is designed with something that could get wet hanging down near the back tires.  and when you've driven it a bit and it warms up, it can suddenly make the car think that something is wrong with the system and it doesn't start.  My car guy eliminated the starter as a problem and several other things, so I'm guessing that this is the issue.  dang.  So I don't drive the van on a rainy day...  

   Seems to me that it was a rainy fall day when this last happened too.  Finding a pattern might help the situation.  PLUS my BIL is a great car guy and maybe he can research it a bit too and tell my car guy what to fix... ?   Thinking on it.

3) Money issues
I found out that I need to pay off a loan on Robb's 401K before rolling it over to my IRA...
   yay...  Just one more big expense that I hadn't planned on.  It'll all shake out...  It's just frustrating.  My little nest egg is dwindling.  BUT at least my IRA will be intact and ready for when I retire.  
  dang.  I'm getting old aren't I?

4) More Car problems
Jen's car broke a belt so between her, me and a neighbor guy, we replaced it, but then found out that the idler pulley was shot.  Who knew??!!!  I guess the neighbor guy...  She and I picked one up and will tackle it again as soon as the wind dies down and it's not so chilly here...  Maybe get him involved again if we need to.  So I'm learning new things...

I visited Robb's grave on a walk this weekend and told him all about everything.
He gets me...

Sorry - there are a lot of pauses...  But that's what I need right now anyway...

4 comments:

Susan said...

Oh I do understand. In the months after I lost my husband my water heater started leaking (over 25 years old!) And I could not get a plumber for three days. Son and nephew to the rescue the same day! So thankful! Canceled the plumber and did not have to travel for a shower!
Then replaced roof ($$$).
Then icemaker ($)
Like you, I feel so blessed to have family and friends instantly ready to help. Thinking of you and praying for you and your family. It does get better but I don't think it really goes away. I am 2 years into this journey.
Susan

SAM said...

I appreciate you sharing and hopefully see blogging as a bit of help. While I can't know your feelings and grief, it seems your family is with you each day, and must be some comfort.

Practical Parsimony said...

The car makes me cry, too.

JRE said...

I live out of our towns city limits and the year after he died anything water related broke! Well, septic, water heater any other plumbing related....... I remember raging why wasn’t my husbands death enough misery. Cry, cry, cry. Just a day at a time. That was 25 years ago, he was 41 (cancer). Life goes, it’s been good and I still cry a few times a week. At least.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails