Monday, November 20, 2023

Twisted Thanksgiving

 Our Thanksgiving on Sunday was a lot of fun.  I made three pans of sliders, different types (turkey & havarti, ham & swiss and then ham/turkey & American), on Sunday early morning, ready for the girls to pop into the oven so everything would be ready by the time I got home.  The Hawaiian rolls were made ahead of time as was the cranberry relish.  There was also a new twist on the pickle relish tray, which involved pickled eggs, Jelly Belly beans, wasabi peas and of course black and green olives with pickles, because, duh, Thanksgiving!!  There were amazing mashed potatoes as well as smiley face fries and also green bean casserole in pastry cups!  Lots of wonderful desserts.  

My weight is up this morning...  and probably will be all week.  Lots of leftovers and the big family reunion is coming up. whew!

Aggie sat in her highchair for the first time and SO many smiles!  Of course I didn't get any pictures of that.  I need to get into the "I might blog about it" mode like I used to be in all the time.

We'd worn Aggie out by this time.


Leon and I made some bread dough Saturday and he shaped his dough lump like a fish very artistically.  We made a pizza and breadsticks with the rest.  He served the fish bread at the meal, taking orders for what fish part everyone wanted, after clarifying that no real fish were killed in the process of making this fish.  Well then!  I'll take the lips, or fins or tail!  I think someone asked for the stomach.  He also insisted on making a duck cake.  wha?...  Apparently he saw it on the show Bluey.  Well, if Bluey made it, I guess we can.  I'm a huge Bluey fan but hadn't seen that episode yet.  I later did with Aggie.  The only kind of cake mix I had on hand was devils food or angel food.  We started the angel food, with me not knowing he wanted to do both so it could be layered. Um nope dear...  We only need one and angels and devils don't belong together for obvious reasons.  It cooled all night and early Sunday morning, we made homemade frosting and he carved the duck into shape.  It's not easy to carve angel food, but he did it and I have lots of little bits to much on today.  *tasty...*

He covered it with popcorn, because...  duck feathers... and added chocolate chips for the eyes and torn up tortilla for the bill, but it kind of fell a little.  and in the Bluey fashion, he said "and that's okay!"  He had a great attitude about it. Bluey is a great show because it "sneaks" in lessons without being preachy about it and saying "That's okay!" was part of this one. Unfortunately, we didn't cut into the duck at all!  So Leon suggested freezing it for Friday's family reunion and we'll put it out then.  Maybe as a centerpiece because I don't think the popcorn is going to make it, unless he'll put new "feathers" on it.

Well, Happy Thanksgiving week!  I'll be pulling out my WKRP t-shirt on Wednesday and will wear it the rest of week. :) kidding.  I'll wash it each night and you'll be THANKFUL!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Your Thanksgiving meal looks delicious! Well except for the wasabi...
I need to make those rolls/sliders.
Sweet baby girl; I bet she did love sitting up in the highchair watching everything. Too funny with Leon and the cakes. I love his imagination, and that fish cake sounds cool. Not so sure about the popcorn feathers though.
WKRP has one of my favorite Thanksgiving episodes...as God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
Have a great second Thanksgiving.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails