Monday, July 24, 2017

Angling from the Weekend

It was a jam packed weekend.  When is it ever not??

Let's start with Friday.
Robb left right after work in Meri's hot little car with no air conditioning and drove to Missouri where my SIL and BIL live.  BIL Greg is a master mechanic, not as a profession, but a hobby.  You can describe a certain sound your car is making or hold your phone up to it for him and he can tell you exactly what is wrong with it.  100% of the time, he's right.  I've never known him to be wrong...

So Robb got the hillbilly air conditioner, that he made for Maddy's dorm room a few years back, plugged it into an adaptor with a container of ice inside and off he went.


The car fix took a $30 part and most of Greg's Saturday, but Robb drove it home Saturday night with air conditioning.  I called him while he was on his way back and he said that he's had to stop a few times to warm up.  Meri sarcastically asked him if the heater still worked.  Um yeah... but he was just loving getting caught up on the coolness.  

He  was gone Friday night and Meri was working, so I made dinner for just myself and my MIL and then went to clean my bathroom and organize sewing stuff.
I AM a wild and crazy woman on a Friday night!!!!

On Saturday, after a garbage run, Meri and a friend met me at the county fair grounds and we found that her blue ribbon photo with an orange dot did NOT advance to the State Fair.  She was bummed BUT she and Emily stayed and did some fair stuff, watching the goats or some such thing.  I took off.

I went to my home town to see my family three hours away.  First picking up my dad, then heading to my mom's nursing home.  She was busy rounding up residents to attend a church service in the cafeteria soon, so I went around with her while Dad moved chairs and the keyboard.  The pastor showed up with his family and the service started after a bit.  Here is Mom at the keyboard!  She played a lot of Christmas hymns while waiting for the service to start and the residents sang along.


I love Christmas in July!  But don't talk to Robb about that.

Mom, Dad and I went over to my brothers and I loaded up the rest of the wedding stuff that he'd hauled out of Minnesota for me in June.  Mark showed up soon and we visited for a while in his air conditioning.  Mom was too cold, but for me, it was JUST right!!!  Mom and Dad hadn't seen any of the wedding photos yet, so I showed them the only ones that I knew of from Facebook on my laptop.  Then we browsed around Mark's house and checked out all his crafty things.

I didn't get a photo of anything.  darn.  You would not ever recognize that this house was my grandparents after walking in the front door.  He's owned it since he turned 18.  And he doesn't brag about any of his projects on FB, so I don't have any photos... BUT he made a 4 inch thick polished concrete counter top with rebar in it.  He said that 9 people could tap dance safely on it if they wanted to.  But the ceiling was pretty low at that point, so they'd have to be short or doing a small part of the Mamushka.  The living room has chunks of wood on the walls all around the fireplace and is fabulous.  Skis on the wall as book shelves plus another book shelf made of slabs of tree.  LONG slabs, not the round ones.  And lots of bicyling art work around made of bike gears, parts, whatever.  Amazing.

And he has koi fish in a pond out front next to the hot tub.  He said that he likes to sit and watch his fish.  When he gets hungry, he reaches over to his raised garden and plucks a fresh potato and munches on it while he watches his fish.


Is he my brother or what??!  Apparently our humor is similar.

He's headed to Burning Man in August and showed us a coffee table book of the event that he'd just received.  It looks fascinating!  OH JANE!  He said that if you buy a ticket, you can ride out with him and a friend of his that's going also.

We got Mom back to her nursing home and then Dad and I stopped by a sister's house, but she wasn't home yet so we missed her.  Hugged a couple of her kids and then went over to another sister's work.  Kristin had brought her laptop with her to work and I was able to grab ALL the wedding photos that she had taken!!! YAY!  Just a teaser below.  


She made me swear not to post any on FB because she's not done editing them. but I have permission to post them on my blog. No one reads THAT!


 I'll post more tomorrow.


 On Sunday, I got my State Fair entries worked on.  Maddy's wedding gown hem was ruined from the farm, but luckily it was way long anyway.  I serged off a new hem on all three layers and it is shorter by about 1/4 inch.  Looks SO fab again! and clean!  Did a little ironing on the bodice and it's good to go.  I'm hoping to take everything to my sewing meeting tonight for advice.  We'll see.

Meri rented the movie "Life" and we watched most of it last night and the rest this morning.  Leon REALLY wanted to see it, but we said NO.  He can when he's 18.  There are only so many nights in the week when we allow him to sleep on our floor.

The movie reminded me of a computer program that I wrote for a college assignment.  It was supposed to be named Life but I did a miserable job on it and renamed it Death when I turned it in.
Don't let that stop you from renting the movie!!
NOT a spoiler, just an observation!

Meri came upstairs early this morning and we watched the rest before I even got out of bed.  AND my son brought me breakfast in bed!!!

What's his angle??...

What were you angling for this weekend?

4 comments:

Anne in the kitchen said...

Sounds like a lovely weekend. I want ski bookshelves because I think it would look cool, but would probably be out of place in Alabama.

Southern Gal said...

So you're entering the wedding gown? That's great! Every year I say I'll enter and every year I don't. Maybe the Swoon quilt this year if I ever get the backing done so I can get it quilted and then put the binding on. Maybe..

Rebekah wore my gown and the hem was black from the reception (rain, mud). She suggested we just throw it in the washing machine with OxiClean. We did and it came out clean! Now I know you can't throw everything in the washer, but chantilly lace held up well!

Southern Gal said...

One day we'll get to see all the photos! The ones I took for my friend's daughter took a while to get edited. I totally understand why it takes so long. And I only took the groom and groomsmen photos!

Michelle said...

Well, seriously I need more photos of the wedding AND your brother's house. A girl like me needs decor details!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails